Firewood cost, either you bought it or you chopped it yourself. In the former you shelled out your hard earned money and in the latter you spent a lot of energy and time. So if don’t build a backyard firewood shed your firewood gets wet or becomes filled with moisture, all your money and your efforts will just go down the drain unless you have a good backyard firewood shed.
A wet piece of firewood will not burn properly as we all know, and if you live in an area where rain and snowfall is frequent, it can be virtually impossible to keep your wood dry. Building a backyard firewood shed is the key to this problem and you can be sure of having dry firewood each time you need it.
The location of your backyard firewood shed is among the most important decision you will It should be in an area where water does not pool surrounding the shed, yet it ought to be close to your home therefore it will be easy for you to get firewood whenever you need it.
You definitely wouldn’t want to walk a long way just to get some when it’s raining hard or there is heavy snowfall. Also build a raised floor so that moisture from the ground will not seep inside the shed. Wet wood easily gets rotten and decomposes.
Regarding the roof of your firewood shed, you should be certain that in your plans that it is high steep and is slanted. This way, snow and rain will easily slide off and would not get inside to the firewood. This goes the same for the foundation, making it higher from the ground and providing a slant to slide snow and water away from the shed.
Most firewood sheds are built with only three sides. Only three walls are provided and the fourth side left open. This is necessary as this allows airflow which in turn allows the firewood to dry properly. But because of this open side, it would also be easy for rain and snow to be blown inside by the wind.
To avoid this or to minimize moisture, it is best that the open side should not face the direction of the wind.
To further prevent moisture from seeping into your firewood, you should put a layer of plastic on the floor and to allow good airflow for drying, under your woodpile stack your firewood on off-cut lumbers.
Most firewood sheds are not really that big, they are easy to make and don’t require as much cost as most typical storage sheds. With just a couple of lumber and nails, you can build a backyard firewood shed and be assured that you will have dry and effective firewood ready to build a roaring fire for a comfortable warmth.
Always remember that in starting any project, having plans is the best way to ensure that you will have a worry-free time when you’re in the actual process of building the shed. So get your hands on a firewood shed plans and more from My Sheds
Backyards are one of the places in the typical household where many memories are made from. This is where many kids learned how to catch a baseball and many children parties have been celebrated. The yard is also the top candidate to where a shed is usually built and if you have a family you need to build a backyard shed roof that’s safe for children. Put a child in a yard along with a mysterious shed, and you can do the math.
Backyard Shed Roof That’s Child Safe and Accident Proof
All parents would do all that they can to keep their child safe and away from accidents, that’s why, we childproof our home, keep debris out of our yards, remind them to be careful when playing and tell them to stay away from strangers. But it’s also likely that we would forget to tell them to stay away from our shed.
To a child, a storage shed can be fascinating. To their minds it can be a fort, a castle, or whatever they would like to see it. They would then see the shed as a plaything and gravitate towards it. The problem is, most sheds contain dangerous items that are sharp, pointy, and poisonous or maybe even explosive. Or they may even try to imitate you and try to get the grass cutter and play with it.
Whatever reason the child has, these dangerous items should be safely kept away from them.
To avoid these accidents from happening, there are some ways that you can do to make your storage shed safer to a child and keep away whatever potential hazard that may occur.
Organize your tools and keep them securely in their place. Don’t leave your tools lying around. Unplug your power tools or remove their batteries. Glass cabinets can be used to keep sharp tools away from the prying hands of a child. Keep your shed locked all the time. Close all windows and hide your keys.
Always check your shed for gaps and cracks and loose boards which your child and their friends can pry open to get inside.
If you have hazardous and flammable materials, store them in a locked cabinet. Never leave your shed door open even if you’re working on a project or tending to your garden. All it takes is a split second for your child to rush in and play with your tools.
Have a talk with your child; explain to them the dangers that may happen if they play with your tools and equipment. Remind them that these are not toys and to never play with them.
It is imperative that you follow these guidelines. Children are naturally curious and you should never take for granted that even though you already warned them that they would not still go to the shed and touch your things. And it’s not just your child; it could either be the neighbor’s child or your child’s playmate.
It’s always best to be safe than sorry, seriously consider these storage shed safety tips and greatly diminish the risks of an accident.
Are you looking for the latest fads in landscaping? Check out the effects landscape waterfalls in your garden can offer, effects that are hot favorites all over the world. Ancient Japan and China had perfected landscaping with waterfalls a few thousands of years ago; today it is entering the hearts and gardens of the contemporary human being as well.
What Does The Landscape Waterfalls Entail?
There are many factors that you need to check out when you are planning to introduce landscape waterfalls into your garden. What you would need to consider to ensure the best possible results would be:
1. The locations of the landscape waterfalls or water bodies – you need to find such a location that offers protection from sun during the day time as under the direct sunlight the water body would evaporate fast leaving behind the proof of bad planning. It would also be important that the landscape waterfalls are not near any particular shedding trees because this would have the drain constantly clogged damaging system that promotes the circulation of the water.
2. What are the roles of the landscape waterfalls – have you thought why do you need the water bodies in your garden? You might put it in because you were advised to do so by feng shui or vastu shastra masters so it would bring prosperity and goodwill for you and all those around you. If this the proposed role, the waterfall would be installed according to the cardinal points – according to feng shui principles a water body placed in the correct direction would bring extreme happiness and prosperity to its owner.
Another proposed role would be to simply add to the esthetic beauty of the garden. In this case you would need to find such a place which would offer both privacy and scope to be used as a picnic spot by the family members. This is one of the commonest roles for the landscape waterfalls. You could also use the water pool created to enhance the overall visual impact of your garden by adding aquatic plants and even a few exotic fish to it.
3. What is your budget when you choose to introduce into your garden these landscape waterfalls – this is one of the most important factors of all. In case the plan you are having for your garden exceeds your available cash, try to pay for it in easy installments over a fixed period of time.
Alternatively, plan the installation of the landscape waterfalls in phases so you could pay for each step over a given period of time.
Once you decide on the above factors you would be able to create the ultimate natural beauty in your garden that would not only make you extraordinarily proud, but also offer you an exceptional relaxation ambiance.
It’s no secret that greenhouse gases are affecting the climate and that high rates of fossil fuel consumption are quickly depleting these non-renewable resources. Without a shift in how we produce energy, we will soon be facing an energy crisis of enormous proportions. What makes green energy so great is the abundant supplies – such as wind, water, and sunlight – can be used to produce energy that is clean and efficient.
Until changes are made on a global scale, it is up to individuals, or small communities, to change their primary sources of energy one at a time. With the many different sources of green, renewable energy available, you are in a position to make changes that will benefit the planet. Let’s look at some of the reasons why green energy is the best energy source.
- It’s Clean. Green energy doesn’t cause the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. It also doesn’t cause harm to the environment like fossil fuels can, such as in the case of an oil spill.
- It’s Renewable. There are a limited number of fossil fuels on the planet, and supplies of coal, gas, and oil are diminishing, which means that they will eventually run out. Green sources of energy renew themselves, so they will always be available.
- It’s Safe. Green energy is safe for those who build and maintain the energy source and who consume it. This is not the case for other sources of energy, including nuclear power and fossil fuels.
- It’s Widely Available. Sources of green energy are available worldwide and at high levels, which eliminates costs associated with transmitting the sources of energy to distant locations.
- It’s Cheap. Sun, water and wind energy cost nothing in terms of raw materials.
- It Reduces Global Conflict. When one country has a fossil fuel that others don’t have, conflicts arise. Those without have to try to negotiate deals with those who do have the raw materials. Renewable energy sources are unlimited, and everyone has access to a natural source.
- It’s Independent. Once you have an established system for producing energy from a renewable source, you are not dependent on a company to provide you with energy.
- It’s Economically Certain. The costs associated with fossil fuels are volatile. Costs associated with green energy are minimal, which keeps the budget steady.
- It’s Eco-Friendly. With green energy, like turbines that generate energy from tides, the fragile ecosystems of the oceans aren’t negatively affected.
- It Supports Communities. Green energy is not limited to individual households. Entire communities can be run from solar power.
- It Taps Natural Resources. With a little more than 70% of the planet covered by water, it makes sense to use it as a source of energy, such as with hydroelectricity.
The Bottom Line
Green energy is the better energy source because it offers numerous benefits for you and for the environment. It is renewable, and once you are set up your system, you have a constant source of energy that will not be depleted and is not subject to interruption. What makes green energy so great is it is also cost effective, and supply and demand do not affect pricing. With sources of clean, renewable energy, the ecosystems of the planet are not being destroyed, and limited resources are not being used up. With green energy, you and the rest of the planet benefit, so you can consume energy guilt-free.
Solar energy is one of the largest growing industries, counting the building of solar energy plants, purchase of solar panels for use in homes, and smaller solar devices that are used to charge devices. Adopting the use of solar energy can be done on a small scale, such as using it to help heat your home, or on a larger scale, by switching your power solely to solar energy. There are many uses for solar energy so you can start with just one or go for them all.
13 Uses for Solar Energy
- Solar energy can be used to power fans throughout your home; you’ll save on cooling costs because you won’t need to run the air conditioner as much, and the solar energy is totally free.
- Keep your pool warm. So that your pool will be ready on the first warm day, use a solar blanket to cover the water, and leave the cover on when the pool is not in use so the water stays warm.
- Heat your pool water. Install solar panels on your roof to heat the water for your pool. A pump can be used to circulate the warmed water into your pool.
- Heat your hot water. Get rid of your inefficient electric or gas water heater, and replace it with a solar heating system. A generator or battery is used to store energy so that you’ll still have hot water even when the sun is not out.
- Heat a sun room. With two or three all-glass walls and solar panels on one room, you eliminate the need for any external heat. The addition of plants and ornamental rocks or stones will help by storing the warmth of the sun.
- Hot water heating for your house. Using solar energy that works through water baseboard heating, you can provide heat for your home. The water is warmed using solar tubes and then circulated through the baseboards using a solar-powered pump with a battery backup.
- Heat pump. Rather than using oil or gas for heat, you can use solar power to provide energy for a heat pump that will circulate warm air throughout your home.
- Power your home. Using solar panels and a system for converting the sun’s energy into electricity, you can provide power for your home. You can use a battery or generator backup.
- Cooking. With a few supplies and some ingenuity, you can design a solar-powered oven and stove top that you can use to cook with on sunny days.
- Charging batteries. A solar energy device can be used to charge DC batteries, and those batteries can be used to power any number of appliances in your home.
- Charge cell phones. Sunlight is converted into energy and stored in a battery in devices designed to charge cell phones; charging takes a while, but you can charge your phone for free every day because you are not using electricity supplied by a power grid.
- Charge laptops and tablets. Similar to the cell phone chargers but larger, charging stations use solar power to generate electricity and recharge the batteries on your laptop, tablet, etc.
- Security lighting. Solar-powered lights can be set up around the perimeters of your home or your yard to provide light at night and keep areas of your home more secure.
The Bottom Line
Solar energy and wind already has many uses, and more are being created each year. While many locales do not yet offer solar power, the power grid in some communities is often supplemented by solar energy, and you have the option of installing your own solar source to suit a number of purposes. Whether used to provide lighting outside your home at night or to heat your hot water, solar energy is clean and efficient, and it reduces your utility costs.
There is no better way to spruce up a new home, or an old one for that matter, than to landscape with trees. These trees can add so much to your home, in fact they can even add to the value of your home for when it comes time to sell. There are many different kinds of tree for you to use when you are in need of a landscaping tree and the choice is all yours.
Where To Find Landscaping Trees
The best place for you to find out what kind of landscaping tree you should be using is the internet. Online you will be able to find out everything that you need to know about every kind of landscaping tree that there is on the market. Everyone will have a different taste in landscaping tree and that is why it is so important for you to find out what yours actually is. If you do not take a look at all the landscaping trees that are out there, who will you know which one is the right landscaping tree for you?
The kind of landscaping tree that you will choose will have something to do with where it is that you live. Some trees do not do well in certain places and certain climates. You will have to make sure that the landscaping tree that you choose can grow and flourish where you live. There is no point in spending money on a few landscaping trees only to find out that it is going to die in just a couple of months. So ask the seller and do some of your own research to find out just what you should be getting for your yard.
Trees matter to the look of your home. It is with trees that you will be able to give your home a pretty garden feel and lets fact it, trees are much easier to deal with than flowers and other plants. There is practically no maintenance for most trees. It will not be hard for you to find a great landscaping tree that will require very little work.
The Mimosa tree makes for a wonderful landscaping tree because it is so gorgeous and lovely. The foliage on this gorgeous tree is like fern in its delicacy. It will make any home instantly more beautiful with its addition and they are deciduous. This is a perfect landscaping tree for any home including yours.